Read 30 Exciting Facts About Pregnancy
A lot happens during the roughly 40 weeks of pregnancy. you’ll expect a number of the changes that occur during this point , but others could seem fascinating or maybe surprising.
Below are 30 facts and 5 myths about fertility, pregnancy, delivery, and more.
30 facts about pregnancy
1. The longest recorded pregnancy was 375 days. consistent with a 1945 entry in Time Magazine, a lady named Beulah Hunter gave birth in l. a. nearly 100 days after the typical 280-day pregnancy.
2. one among the shortest recorded pregnancies where the infant survived was just 22 weeks. The baby had variety of complications but survived. a good younger baby, born at 21 weeks and 4 days, is now a toddler.
3. The oldest recorded woman to possess a baby was 66 years old.
4. Blood volume within the body during pregnancy increases 40 to 50 percentTrusted Source. This increase helps with the additional oxygen needed to support a healthy pregnancy.
5. The uterus can expand greatly during pregnancy. During the primary trimester, it’s about the dimensions of an orange. By the trimester , it expands to the dimensions of a watermelon.
6. Moms-to-be can start producing breast milk just 14 weeks into their pregnancy.
7. Your voice can change during pregnancy. That’s because hormonal changes can cause your vocal folds to swell. it’ll presumably return to normal after delivery or breastfeeding.
8. By the trimester , a developing baby can recognize their mother’s voice from inside the womb.
9. About 1 in every 2,000 babies are born with teeth. These are loose natal teeth and sometimes got to be removed by a doctor. they will be painful for the mother during breastfeeding. they will even be dangerous — there’s a risk they’ll be dislodged and inhaled.
10. Many pregnant women in China avoid cold foods like frozen dessert and watermelon. they like hot drinks like tea and soup, believing that pregnancy is of a “cold” nature which hot liquids help balance the yin and yang. There’s no evidence to support this claim, but this is often still a standard cultural practice.
11. In Japan, pregnant women are often issued a badge to place on a bag or hang on a necklace. the thought is that commuters on trains and buses will see the badge and offer their seats even when a lady is in early pregnancy and not yet noticeably showing.
12. Turkey has the very best percentage rate of babies born via cesarean delivery (50.4 per 100 live births), while Iceland has rock bottom (15.2 per 100 live births).
13. As of 2015, 17.8 percent of pregnant women in France smoked into their trimester . As a result, hospitals are beginning to offer payment vouchers in exchange for participating during a smoking cessation program during pregnancy.
14. Eight — That’s the very best number of babies born alive to one mother. In 2009, Nadya Suleman delivered her six boys and two girls during a California hospital.
15. There are more twins born in Benin than the other country, with 27.9 twins born per 1,000 births.
16. About 32 people out of each 1,000 may be a twin. within the us , the state with the very best percentages of twins are Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. New Mexico has rock bottom .
17. Opposite-sex twins (one boy and one girl) structure approximately one-third of dual births.
18. One in eight couples within the us has trouble getting pregnant or sustaining a pregnancy.
19. Over seven million women within the us receive infertility services in their lifetime.
20. In 2012, over 61,000 babies were conceived within the us with the assistance of in vitro fertilization (IVF).
21. At age 30, a couple’s monthly chance of conception is around 20 percent. By age 40, the prospect is around 5 percent monthly .
22. The mean ageTrusted Source of girls having their first child within the us rose from 24.9 in 2000 to 26.3 in 2014.
23. In 2015, 32 percentTrusted Source of babies born within the us were delivered via cesarean delivery . there have been 2,703,504 vaginal deliveries and 1,272,503 babies born by cesarean.
24. within the us , the very best percentage of infantsTrusted Source is born between 8 a.m. and noon every day . but 3 percent of infants are born between midnight and 6:59 a.m.
25. The us ranks among the worst countries within the Western world for maternal death rate. there have been an estimated 14 deaths per every 100,000 live births in 2015. Greece, Iceland, Poland, and Finland tied for rock bottom rate at just three deaths per 100,000 live births in 2015.
26. There has been an increase within the number of water births in recent years. Just shy of 10 percentTrusted Source of all us hospitals offer water immersion options for delivery.
27. Home births also are becoming more popular, but still the bulk of girls are delivering during a hospital or birth center. In 2012, 1.36 percent of birthsTrusted Source were reception , up from 1.26 percent in 2011.
28. Babies can cry within the womb. Researchers found expressions of displeasure in ultrasounds starting at just 28 weeksTrusted Source.
29. Pregnancy rates for teens (ages 15 to 19) within the us are on the decline. there have been quite 229,000 teen birthsTrusted Source in 2015. That was down 8 percent from 2014.
30. In 1879, the heaviest recorded baby was born, weighing in at 22 pounds. Sadly, he gave up the ghost 11 hours after delivery. Since then, healthy babies are born in Italy and Brazil weighing 22 pounds, 8 ounces, and 16 pounds, 11.2 ounces, respectively.
1. Myth: the form of your belly can predict the gender of your baby.
The truth: Carrying low? Legend says you’re having a boy. If your belly is above , it’s a woman . Actually, stomach muscles stretch with subsequent pregnancies. So, if a woman’s belly is above , it probably just means she has strong abdominal muscles or it’s her first pregnancy.
2. Myth: the guts rate of a fetus can predict the gender.
The truth: Listen carefully thereto pulse and you’ll be ready to tell the gender of your future baby, right? It’s not true. Normal fetal pulse for all babies in utero ranges from 120 to 160 beats per minute. You’ll need to await the ultrasound or birth to seek out out the gender.
3. Myth: Your face shape and fullness during pregnancy can predict the gender.
The truth: you’ll have heard that if a lady features a full face or acne, she’s having a woman . this is often false and another old wives’ tale. Your face shape and skin condition during pregnancy are influenced by variety of other factors, like diet and genetics.
4. Myth: Spice during pregnancy causes blindness in babies.
The truth: Eating spicy foods during pregnancy is perfectly safe but may cause heartburn. Ask your doctor a few pregnancy-safe antacid if you’re susceptible to indigestion while expecting.
5. Myth: Experiencing heartburn during pregnancy means your baby are going to be born with hair.
The truth: Actually, this one may have some truth. alittle studyTrusted Source found that ladies with mild to severe heartburn gave birth to babies with hair. Researchers think there could also be a connection between pregnancy hormones relaxing both a part of the lower esophagus and being liable for fetal hair growth. But more research is required .
There’s such a lot to find out about pregnancy and still many unknowns. If you’re pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, work together with your doctor. they will assist you come up with an idea for a healthy pregnancy and delivery and may answer any questions you’ve got about symptoms, complications, and what to expect.